What Evergreen Googlebot’s Chrome74 Update Revealed About Your Site’s “render Budget,” And Why It’s Imperative To SEO In The Modern Web
By Jeff Gammon, Director of Product Marketing
Search engine optimization is ever-evolving. And Google, naturally, drives most of the internet’s evolution. As SEOs, we often get excited about developments concerning the world’s biggest search engine. Well, the May 7 announcement at Google I/O about Googlebot’s transformation had the internet itself buzzing, and also gave us tangible evidence of Google evolving itself.
- Googlebot had been outdated and running chrome41 for years.
- Now Googlebot had been updated to chrome74.
- In fact, the updated bot had already been crawling the web.
- Googlebot would also be evergreen (i.e., never allowed to be outdated again).
Should SEOs take these evolutions for granted?
2. Google (also) confirmed Botify’s concept of Render Budget. What does it mean for SEOs?
Google says “rendering budget” is key to SEO in their May 7, 2019 Google I/O session.
3. Knowing your JS render budget is key to winning SEO in the modern web
Botify uses chrome74 too. But unlike Lighthouse, Botify crawls and renders your whole site and helps you understand your site-wide render budget–how it’s being “spent” now. That empowers you to understand how Googlebot–yes, even the updated, “evergreen” Googlebot–is seeing (and not seeing) your site so you can do the search-engine optimization necessary for your render budget to be spent on the priority content and links that you want to be indexed and to rank well in Google search results.
With Botify, you have more metrics and data insights about how your website is actually rendered by Google than ever before. You get data insights for all of your pages/JS through 29 different metrics–19 of which are newly available to Botify subscribers.
- Your content and links that are reliant on JS to be seen by search engines
- So you can make it seen to bots and target users
- Your pages that are crawled by Google
- And which pages are not crawled
- And the JS that is not rendered
4. JavasScript is here to stay, and Botify is here to help you stay on top
Contact us if you want to know more about how we can help you with winning the modern web.